Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Fur Times | October 16, 2018

Scroll to top

Top

Beware of Poisonous Plants

Beware of Poisonous Plants
FurTimes

Not only are dogs the most common, playful, cheerful, and curious pets; they seem to always bring a sense of joy to our home. In this regard it’s very important to train them well to be careful around or gardens.Their playfulness around plants may become problematic if they ingest them. We provide a list of the most common plants in the home that are toxic for your pet.

A common domestic and publicly grown garden plants is the Lilac. They are beautiful flowers, but are dangerous for cats and several species of dogs. Lilies are a type of lilac that are bold, beautiful, fragrant, and poisonous. If eaten by your pet it will upset their gastrointestinal and nervous systems possibly leading to death. Daffodils, especially the bulbs, are another very common type of lilac that is toxic to dogs and can lead to the same types of symptoms.

Another plant that is very toxic to both cats and dogs, and common in all types of gardens is the Sago Palm tree. Cycasin is the dangerous component, and causes vomiting, diarrhea, liver damage, and even death.

Marijuana is toxic for dogs. After ingesting the animal may appear disoriented, dizzy, have excessive salivation, tremors and a slow heartbeat. The dog can last several days in this state.

The azalea plant is toxic to cats and dogs. Ingestion can cause vomiting, diarrhea, excessive salivation, loss of appetite, weakness, and in severe cases coma or death. As with any case of of animal poisoning, these symptoms require immediate attention from a veterinarian.

The seeds of Ricin found mostly in woods cause a burning sensation in the mouth and throat of the animal when ingested. In addition to vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive thirst, the dog may eventually die if the amount swallowed is more than 30 grams.

Aloe vera has many beneficial health effects, but when it comes to pets toxic to both cats and dogs. Ingestion causes vomiting, diarrhea, cramps, depression and changes in urine color .

Birds of paradise, a beautiful exotic plant found in abundance in bouquets or in many public gardens is also harmful for the dog when ingested causing nausea, vomiting, and malaise.

Charming dieffenbachia is a classic in many homes, but the latex from this plant is dangerous to your pets. For dogs, symptoms occur soon after the animal makes contact with the plant. Symptoms include: skin irritation, swelling, blisters, oral pain, difficulty swallowing, gastrointestinal upset, and difficulty breathing.

Tags